Skip to main content

Welcome to Titan World: A Brief Introduction


Welcome to Titan World

A Primordial Setting of Myth, Monsters, and Adventure

The initial sparks of this setting idea came while I was watching Godzilla: King of the Monsters. There's a scene, no spoilers, featuring an ancient city seemingly built to honor the kaiju, a civilization that didn’t just fear these giants, but worshiped them. What would a society, culture, kingdom look like if Kaiju were real and walked and raged across the earth? It got me thinking: what if entire cultures rose and fell under the shadow of colossal godlike beasts? 

From that idea, the world began to take shape. I drew further inspiration from the Hyborian Age of Conan—an era raw, brutal, and unpolished, where magic is primal and mysterious, civilization is young but with more high fantasy thrown in and with the “beast” and “monstrous” races (hate those descriptors I'm an avid Orc fan) are the norm and culture. 

From those seeds and many, many notes on my phone and half-written google docs, Titan World (name not final i've been mulling over a better one) was born.

The World Itself

Titan World is raw, untamed, and unmastered. The land feels half-formed, still crackling with the energy of creation. Colossal monsters—the “Titans”—aren’t aberrations or one-offs; they’re essential, divine forces that actively shape the landscape, battling each other in continent-scarring wars. These creatures are worshipped as gods by many, feared and revered in equal measure.

Civilization is in its earliest stages. Tribes, clans, and city-states are just beginning to rise, struggling to unify amid the chaos of a hostile world. Many are fractured internally, with power struggles, shifting allegiances, and rival cults. Externally, they face the constant threat of predatory beasts, rival factions, and the wild untamed land itself. Some groups seek to dominate or subjugate others, believing it the only way to survive in such a dangerous, god-haunted world. Others cling to tradition, isolation, or faith, trying to preserve what little peace they’ve carved out.

Magic both arcane and primal—flows through the world, but it is not a science. It is wild, unpredictable, and deeply entwined with the land itself and living and non living-things. Even the terrain seems alive, reacting to great acts of power and belief.

Titan World is not a safe place. It is relentlessly hostile, a setting where even the terrain wants to kill you. Volcanoes erupt without warning, storms are living beings, and magic can spontaneously warp the laws of nature. Yet in this crucible, the people are strong, adaptive, and mythic in their own right.

The Aesthetic

Visually and thematically, Titan World draws from:

  • Bronze Age cultures like Mesopotamia, the Shang Dynasty, and Mycenaean Greece.

  • The mythic heroism of Conan, Gilgamesh, Heracles, and Rostam, not Lancelot or Arthur.

  • Colossal beasts and divine monsters from many sources like mythology, the Monsterverse, and Monster Hunter.

  • The primal ecosystems of the Magic the Gathering Planes of Ikoria, Zendikar, Ixalan, and some Dark Sun.

    There’s no feudalism, no knights in shining armor. Titan World is far more Homer’s Iliad than Le Morte d’Arthur, more Hyborian Age than Middle-earth.

Key Concepts

  • Mythic Adventure: The line between gods and monsters is blurred. Heroic deeds are remembered in song, not recorded in ledgers.

  • Untamed Magic: Magic is elemental, dangerous, and rarely understood.

  • Tribal and Cultural Allegiance: Identity is forged in kinship, tribe, and cult not nation or crown.

  • Megafauna & Flora: It is a land of extremes and exaggerations. Wolves stand taller than most humanoids. Ancient trees scrap the sky large enough to house entire cities and communities.

  • Kaiju Worship: The Titans (WIP name) are forces of nature, entities of claw, fang, and thunder. Some are protectors, some destroyers, all unknowable.

  • Non-Human-Centric: Humans exist but do not dominate. The world is home to a rich array of peoples, many of them “monstrous” by traditional fantasy standards, yet fully realized cultures in their own right.

  • Biomes of Wonder: The world is divided into distinct, exaggerated regions—volcanic mountains, vast jungles, endless deserts, frozen wastes—each home to its own Titans, tribes, and myths.

I've been working on this setting and idea of it for sometime and have written at length about it in some areas but in others it is still lacking. I wanted to try and condense it to its core components but I still feel like I haven't exactly explained it right but writing more and sharing more about it definitely helps! I have had this idea, and many more, rolling around in my head. I thought it was high time to finally share it publicly in some way. 


Touchstone list down below, it is by no means exhaustive but the general vibes im going for with the world as I develop it more. 



Touchstones: 

Al-Qadim D&D Campaign Setting

Ancient Bronze Age Cultures

At the Earth's Core (Pellucidar Series) by Edgar Rice Burroughs

Avatar the Last Airbender

Chinese Mythology and Cultures

Dark Sun D&D Campaign Setting

Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser by Fritz Leiber

Godzilla Series/Monsterverse 

Greek Myths 

Hollow World of Mystara 

Hunter X Hunter

Ikoria, Amonkhet, Zendikar, Ixalan Magic the Gathering

Japanese Mythologies and Culture

Mesozoic Era

Monster Hunter

Naruto Series

Pokemon

Robert E. Howard's Hyboria and Conan the Barbarian

South American Mythology and Cultures: Incas, Mayans, Aztecs

Spears of the Dawn by Sine Nomine Publishing

SWANA Myth and Legends

The Mugwani Expanse

The Southlands of Midgar

Thule 5e

Tian Xia Pathfinder Campaign Setting



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Current Feelings on D&D

I'm currently of two minds about Dungeons & Dragons (D&D). Recently, Wizards of the Coast (WotC) has released some lackluster products and has been in several controversies. One particularly troubling incident involved WotC sending the Pinkertons, actual guns for hire, to someone's house after they were mistakenly sent a new set of Magic: The Gathering cards before their release. This person was threatened, which is shocking and unacceptable. Then there was the whole debacle with the Open Game License (OGL), which further soured my view of the company. With the "new" edition of D&D slated to come out this year, which is a story in itself, I've grown increasingly worried about the company's direction and how they view the game. They seem to be treating D&D more as a brand to be monetized rather than a game for players to enjoy. Plans to charge for individual spells and content have especially turned me off from supporting WotC and D&D. I hav...

Ramblings on Veilguard, Design and Storytelling

I'll be the first to admit it: I’m a huge Bioware fanboy. I grew up playing their games and have replayed nearly all of them multiple times. They’ve created some of my favorite games of all time, and I continue to admire their ability to craft compelling stories, characters, and worlds. I’ve been discussing Dragon Age as a whole with a close friend lately who is still currently playing through Veilguard, and our conversation came to design decisions in Veilguard, particularly the choice to have only three decisions from Inquisition carry over while leaving most others unaddressed. It was a deliberate choice by the team, and ultimately, I think it was for the best. This has also made me think more broadly about storytelling and design. As someone who writes and creates worlds and stories,There comes a point in writing, producing, or designing where you need to shut off that creation valve and focus on the core of your story or world. I’ve faced this challenge in some of my own works...